Wednesday, August 14, 2013

$1/2 NL Holdem Players Are Scared - A Player That Doesn't Want My Money

During my 14-hour session, the table I was with the player in my last post broke up and I moved to another one for the rest of the night. I pushed all-in on the first hand/flop I saw (guy behind me had to have had $300 minimum) and was never down. However, the player in Seat 10 left a mark on my logic that I'm still shaking my head just thinking about:

---My Introduction From Afar---

Seat 10: A-K   Mr. 300: ??

One limper in front, Mr. 300 calls, Seat 10 raises to $20, folds to a calling Mr. 300

$45 pot - Flop: K-X-X

Mr. 300 checks, Seat 10 goes all-in for $170ish, Mr. 300 folds, Seat 10 shows A-K

Ok, so he actually hit with A-K and was a little over-zealous about it, it's the first hand I've seen him play. I cut him some slack as I'm mentally puzzled. Harking back to my Scared #1 and Scared #2 posts, only a few hands are calling you and you're not going to like any of them. However, over the course of my time there (I switched to Seat 1 a few minutes in), I found out this was his plan of attack.

Pre-Flop raise to $25 with A-10
Pre-Flop raise to $20 with A-Q
Pre-Flop raise to $35 with A-K, jams on the flop when he completely missed (was called and lost)

I was more confused about the A-10 than anything else, this guy is overvaluing big aces pre-flop and then pricing players out with flop jamming (A professional flop jammer? That's new). Having said that, when the player or players that do call then fold on the flop, he is picking up $20 minimum from them everytime. If not, well, I guess he's content with $20 flop profit or $6-$8 pre-flop profit when no one calls. This hand is one of two times that I went to the flop with him (the other one I missed on the button with J9s):

--Betting Opponents With Premium Hands Out of the Pot---

Stevie: 66     BB: JJ(?)     UTG: A-Q(?)     Seat 10: KK

UTG limps, limp, fold, Seat 10 raises to $20, Stevie calls, folds to BB who calls, UTG calls

$80 pot - Flop: 9-4-3 (rainbow)

BB and UTG check, Seat 10 goes all-in for well over $200, Stevie thinks for a few seconds and folds, as does BB and UTG, Seat 10 shows his hand

The pro to this hand is that Seat 10 grabbed $56 profit (rake). The other two players said after the hand was over that's what they had (I don't believe until I see, but both sounded truthful about it) and then I said to him, "You don't want my money, that's what you're saying." Seat 10 justified himself by claiming to be betting out the Ace (I didn't detect any sarcasm when he said it), happily building his stack again, and I repeated my stance on the hand...

......And with the post-hand information, he wasn't showing any notion that he missed a golden opportunity here...

If it was just the two of us, I would have tanked longer than I did. I had about $130 or so at the time and with the constantly showing of big Aces pre-flop, I thought it was 50/50 he completely missed, so kudos for the deceptive high pocket pair. But if I call and then either BB or UTG comes along too, then I know I'm screwed. Also, I am not including myself in the premium hand title here, but a part of me felt there was a small chance I was ahead of him, even after my set mine failed...

Next, he's only concerned on that flop about pocket rockets here (I would think, 9's might be a stretch, even the A's might have gone all-in pre-flop). An overpair is going to call a reasonable bet (I'm guessing in the $40-$70 range) and/or, if the player is sharing my line of thinking, raise all-in...FOR him. He gave everyone an easy out of the hand because the reward's not worth the risk. The more money in front of the player on that flop facing that bet, I think it's an even easier fold. Seat 10 has already stated he wants to see both turn and river cards, you're going to risk your big stack/hard day's work on the off-chance he whiffed on that flop?

Lastly, there is only two possible drawing hands here to even consider: 2-5 and 5-6, some open-ended draw. If there's an uber-stack at the table, maybe he dicks around with a gut-shot/inside-straight draw, but those hands didn't call pre-flop. So, it is a high probability, scratch that, all signs point to KK being WAY out in front...

...And he's scared of an Ace...Well, she didn't call, so hurray for a job well done...

Mentally, I was (and still am) dumbfounded and I continued to say to him, "You don't want my money," if I was in a hand and occasionally when no one called pre-flop to his raises. Later, he stopped with the massive raises and kept limping in or betting small once the board came, but I'm getting a headache reviewing this.

Maybe that's his NL Holdem strategy, I don't know, but I can't think of much rewards for chasing everyone out pre-flop and then if someone (or more) has the audacity to see a flop, to either A) make sure they're gone or B) play a massive double-up game that's rarely going to be in your favor...

No comments:

Post a Comment